A Brief History of Our Chapter

The Newport News Chapter was founded in 1927 with Ellen Johnson Livezey as the organizing regent.

The chapter was named for Captain Christopher Newport, a captain who had made four voyages from the colonies to England for supplies for the settlers on Jamestown Island. In his honor, the lower end of the Virginia Peninsula became known as Newportes Newes.

  • 1

    Mrs. Ellen Johnson Livezey

  • 3

    Mrs. Ellen Johnson Livezey

  • 3

    Mrs. Caldroney and Mrs. Whitehead

In 1934, Anna Fleury Hay organized The Free State of Warwick Chapter. Dating from 1634, Warwickshire had been one of the original seven counties in the commonwealth. The name Warwick was in honor of Sir Robert Rich, Second Earl of Warwick, who had an important position in The Virginia Company. The people of the county had been called Free Staters since 1676.

In 1992, the two chapters combined to form the Newport News-Warwick Chapter. Phyllis Caldroney served as the last regent of the Newport News Chapter, and Sara Lou Whitehead served as the last regent of the Free State of Warwick Chapter. Mrs. Whitehead went on to serve two terms as the new chapter's regent.